Join Our Team
We are seeking applications for a layout editor of a student activism-themed print edition of Demos Journal to be produced in collaboration with ANUSA. We are seeking applications from current ANU undergraduate students with experience and skills in the layout and design of print publications. The layout editor would lead the graphic design and printing of the publication, while also working closely with a content editor to shape the print publication.
This role would involve:
- Shaping and implementing a vision for the print publication, in line with Demos’ vision and the requirements of ANUSA,
- Designing the layout of the print publication and choosing appropriate visuals to accompany all pieces in the publication,
- Preparing the final manuscript for printing,
- Overseeing the printing process, including finding an appropriate printer, budgeting the printing and administering the funds available for printing,
- Assisting the content editor with their duties of soliciting, choosing, editing and approving pieces for publication,
- Corresponding with contributors,
- Planning and hosting a launch of the edition in collaboration with ANUSA during O-Week, 2018,
- Managing a team of volunteer subeditors from the Demos Team for the edition,
- Working closely with a content-focussed co-editor to ensure a coherent publication.
This role would involve a substantial time commitment and all applicants should consider their ability to commit time to this project prior to applying. All pieces should be collected and edited by the end of Semester 2, 2017 and the printed version of the publication should be ready for a launch event during O-Week, 2018. This means that this role will require work during the 2017-2018 summer break.
Applications should include:
- A description of your vision for the publication, including how you would ensure that the publication fitted with Demos’ vision,
- A brief description of your experience in graphic design and layout of print publications and evidence of your team work skills. Previous editing experience will also be highly valuable, so include details of any editing experience,
- A sample of your work,
- How you would involve the volunteer editors and subeditors to support your role,
- What you feel your strengths are and how they would contribute to your successful completion of the role,
- What challenges you feel you might face and how you might manage those challenges,
- Availability for the semester and the summer break,
- A commitment of how long you would like to be involved in Demos (applications from those who see themselves remaining involved in Demos until the end of Semester 1, 2018 will be given priority).
Your application will be assessed by Odette Shenfield, Kira Godoroja-Prieckaerts and James Connelly.
Applications should be sent to: Odette Shenfield (email address: email@example.com). Feel free to direct any questions here as well.
Applications close 5pm Friday 18th August 2017.